Fall is officially here! And you know what that means – lots and lots of roasted vegetables. And I’m alllllllllll about the roasted vegetables, BUT the oil you choose will make-or-break the health benefits of those golden-brown beauties.
Let me explain!
All cooking oils have a specific temperature called a smoke point.
If you cook under that temperature all the health benefits of the oil stay intact.
If you cook over that temperature, however, the oil breaks down and oxidizes. The health benefits go away. Even more concerning is the damage the oil can do.
Oxidized oil can:
- Cause damage in your body at the cellular and molecular level
- Damage brain cells and increase the risk for Alzheimer’s
- Promote inflammation
- Increase risk for joint pain, digestive issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, cancer, and more
Smoke points for the healthy cooking oils I use often:
- Coconut oil: 350-385 F
- Extra Virgin Olive oil: 325-385 F
- Avocado oil: 500-520 F
As you can see, olive oil and coconut oil are great for medium-temperature cooking. But make sure to stick with avocado oil when roasting at high temps!
I especially love Chosen Foods avocado oil – The avocados aren’t sprayed with pesticides, the oil is cold-pressed, and their bottles are made with recycled glass! (I’m not getting paid a penny to tell you any of this, I just genuinely love their products)
Ok now to this delicious, three-ingredient roasted butternut squash recipe!
- 3 cups butternut squash, in 1” cubes (I usually buy mine precut to save time)
- 2 Tbsps avocado oil
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss butternut squash in avocado oil and sea salt.
- Spread evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the cubes turn a light golden-brown color.
- Can add more salt to taste!
I’ll admit my roommate has caught me eating these straight off of the pan on several occasions.
Once, she left and returned fifteen minutes later asking for a bite or two.
And then I proceeded to tell her I may or may not have already eaten it all three cups in one sitting… Haha whoooops, happens to the best of us.