I know Halloween is over, but these grain-free pumpkin bars are on repeat at my house!
Is pumpkin actually healthy?
Want some excuses to eat pumpkin everything this Fall?
- Full of fiber: Fiber keeps you full, balances blood sugars, regulates digestion, and prevents several types of cancers.
- Loaded with vitamin A: One cup contains 245% of the daily recommended amount! Vitamin A prevents collagen breakdown (aka less wrinkles) and decreases the risk of eye degeneration.
- Mineral-rich: Magnesium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, zinc and iron all support energy production in the body.
No, It’s not Automatically Healthy
Yes, pumpkin is healthy. BUT don’t grab a slice of pumpkin bread or a pumpkin latté and assume it’s automatically healthy. A slice of pumpkin bread from Starbucks has 40 grams of sugar. Pumpkin spice latté fan? A grande has 50 grams of sugar!
Slash the sugar
If you want a pumpkin latté, modify it! Lattés usually come with 5-6 pumps of sweetened syrup. Ask for half the amount. Even better, one fourth the amount!
Fat is your friend
Think low-fat is the way to go? Think again! Fat will slow down the absorption of the sugar AND it takes 3-4 hours to digest so you’ll stay full and satisfied (vs carbs, which only take about 45 minutes to break down). Getting a sweetened latté with low-fat milk is a recipe for a blood sugar roller coaster. Get full-fat milk or coconut milk instead, or drink your coffee with food in your system.
Craving a pumpkin dessert?
Make these delicious pumpkin bars!
Why these pumpkin bars are better:
- Grain-free and dairy-free! (aka paleo)
- Healthy fats and cinnamon to keep blood sugars stable
- Lots of vitamin A
- MCT’s, which are helpful for everything from energy levels to weight loss
- ZERO refined sugar, and only 8 grams of natural sugars per slice!
Basically, all of your food-intolerant, autoimmune warrior, health-conscious friends can enjoy!
But make no mistake, your friends with no food intolerances or food restrictions will love it too! It’s sweet and satisfying, but it won’t leave you with a sugar crash or stomach ache an hour later.
You can have your pumpkin bar and eat it too!
Grain-Free Pumpkin Bars
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter My favorites are Trader Joes and Base Culture!
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened almond/coconut milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond/coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, spices, baking soda, coconut sugar in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine coconut oil and almond butter in separate bowl, microwave 30 seconds.
- Add syrup, vanilla, and almond/coconut milk and stir.
- Add pumpkin puree and mix well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour into shallow baking pan (I think mine was 8” x 13” but don’t quote me) Bake for 30 minutes until center sets.
- Add icing ingredients to small bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Feel free to add more almond milk if you want a thinner consistency. Stir well until smooth. Pour icing over pumpkin bars!