Football season is here, and you know what that means – CHIPS AND GUAC, PEOPLE! Sure you can pay for the premade stuff, but nothing compares to homemade!
The first step to making amazing guacamole? Picking out the perfect avocados.
Your step-by-step guide
- Scan – Color isn’t a surefire way to determine if an avocado is ripe or not, but it’s a good place to start. Skip the avos that are bright green (no way they’re ripe!) and scan for darker green avocados instead. If it’s black it’s too far gone.
- Sneak peek – Peel off the small stem at the top of the avocado. If it’s still green or light brown you’re good to go. If it’s dark brown the avocado is overripe.
- Get touchy – First check for any bruises and soft spots. Then hold the avocado in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze the fruit. If it’s firm, it’s underripe. If it’s really soft, it’s overripe. You want it to barely “give”!
- Practice makes perfect – If you don’t get it right the first time, no worries my friend. It took me a few times to get the hang of the avo game. Just keep practicing – you’ll be a pro in no time!
No ripe avocados around? Put unripe avocados in a closed paper bag with a few bananas. As bananas ripen, they let off ethylene gas. This gas speeds up the ripening of the avocados!
Fun avo facts
- An avocado is a fruit (Poor avocados and tomatoes… so misunderstood)
- They’re full of water – 74% water!
- They are packed with fiber – one small avocado has 10 grams. This is 1/3 of women’s daily needs and 1/4 of men’s daily needs!
- Avocados contain more potassium than bananas.
Next up, a guacamole recipe that will get all the tortilla chips talking.
Be sure to be sure to follow me on Instagram @plateandcanvas for more recipes, nutrition tips, and lots and lots of avo!