Deodorant may not seem like a big deal, but it could be one of the biggest sources of toxins your body faces on a daily basis.
Read to the end for:
- Why deodorant is a big deal
- Common toxic deodorant ingredients to avoid
- The non-toxic deodorant I’m obsessed with (I got my family, friends and clients hooked on it too)
- An exclusive coupon code!
Why Deodorant is a Big Deal
Our skin is our biggest organ, covering an average of twenty square feet. It has the ability to absorb the substances applied to it (nicotine patches, hormone patches, pain patches, etc.).
We are exposed to toxins every day and some of that exposure is out of our control. But what we put on our body, including our deodorant, is something we can and do control.
We all apply deodorant every single day (or at least I hope we do haha). If your deodorant contains toxic ingredients, they’re going to build up in your body over time and potentially lead to serious health issues down the road.
I have good news and bad news.
The good news: Consumers are catching on. We know the products we purchase have a huge impact on our health, and we want to use products that nourish our body rather than damage it.
The bad news: Companies are catching on too. And they’re taking advantage. Many companies slap “all-natural” or “organic” on their label while dangerous ingredients are still lurking inside. It is such a big problem there is an official name for it: greenwashing.
More good news: I’m here to help!
What Ingredients Do I Need to Avoid?
Even if something has pretty packaging or claims to be “all-natural”, read the ingredients list and avoid the following:
- Aluminum: blocks pores to prevent sweat. Aluminum can cross the blood-brain barrier and cause Alzheimer’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
- Parabens: preservatives that increase the shelf-life of deodorant. Parabens are linked to hormone disruption and increased risk of breast cancer.
- Propylene Glycol: Absorption enhancer linked to organ toxicity and skin irritation. It’s also found in anti-freeze!
- Benzyl Salicylate: Fragrance linked to skin allergies, endocrine disruption, and weakened immune system function.
- Phthalates: helps deodorant stick to your skin. Linked to permanent birth defects and endocrine disruption.
- Fragrance: a mix of 3,000+ chemical ingredients that are linked to skin inflammation, nervous system damage, liver tumors, and more.
- Triclosan: An antibacterial agent and preservative linked to liver toxicity, skin allergies and thyroid dysfunction.
My Favorite Non-Toxic Deodorant
I’ve tried SO many natural deodorants out there, and Primally Pure came out on top in every category.
- A short list of ingredients I can actually pronounce including organic coconut oil, organic beeswax, organic arrowroot powder, baking soda, organic tallow from grass-fed cows, and organic essential oils.
- Instead of using aluminum to prevent perspiration by blocking sweat glands, they use arrowroot powder and kaolin clay to absorb moisture, allow the skin to breath and assist in detoxification.
- Fresh scents from pure essential oils that have powerful odor protection and aromatherapy benefits. And many of the scents are perfect for both men and women!
- It doesn’t irritate my underarms. The other natural deodorants I’ve tried left my underarms red, bumpy and irritated. Primally Pure leaves my underarms soft and smooth.
- It actually works. From a day at the office to an intense HIIT session, this deodorant keeps me feeling fresh and confident!
What Will You Choose?
Every day you have the power to choose. You can choose products full of toxins that promote disease, or you can choose natural products that promote health.
You deserve a vibrant healthy life, and you deserve products that help you get there.
Want to Learn More?
Primally Pure has a ton of great blog posts if you want to learn why natural products are so important and how to make the switch. These are some of my favorites
- Pit Tips: Top Tips for Transitioning to Natural Deodorant
- 6 Tips to Prevent Armpit Irritation
- Oil Cleansing Mistakes You May be Making
- I Detoxed My Makeup Bag and Here’s How
- 6 Tips for Glowing Skin
Your Discount Code!
Ready to try some awesome all-natural deodorant? Use the code “PLATEANDCANVAS” at checkout to get 10% off your purchase! (the discount applies to all Primally Pure products, not just the deodorant)
PLUS, Primally Pure is running a deal on all new subscriptions during the month of August!
Want to See Other Healthy Products I Love?
Go to my Products Page to see other products I love – from skincare to dish soap to blenders!