My much awaited sweet potato chili recipe is here!
Growing up I honestly didn’t love chili. But this is no ordinary chili, my friends. It’s warm and comforting just like chili should be, it’s full of nourishing vegetables, and it’s bursting with flavor.
But first, some ingredient highlights!
Grass-fed Beef, omega-3’s, and CLA.
Grass-fed beef is higher in omega-3’s and contains more antioxidants than conventional beef. It also contains a type of beneficial fat called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). Research shows CLA can decrease inflammation, promote fat loss, and improve heart health.
Bone Broth, Brussels, and Detoxification
Yes, bone broth is great at healing the gut. But it’s also great for detoxification. Bone broth contains glycine, which supports phase two of the liver detox pathway. In phase two, toxins are encapsulated so they can be excreted out of the body.
Brussels sprouts and other sulfur-containing vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, and collard greens) also support phase two of detoxification.
Flaxseed Lowers Cholesterol
Research shows daily ground flaxseed consumption can lower your cholesterol by 15% in as little as one month! It’s also great for regulating digestion because of it’s high fiber content.
Why not whole flaxseed?
Whole flaxseed is too hard for our body to break down – It goes right through our system and we miss out on all of the health benefits.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 lb grass-fed beef
- 1 can kidney beans or black beans
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups mushrooms, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups beef bone broth (I love the Osso Good co.)
- 3 Tbsp milled/ground flax seed
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat large pot on medium heat.
- Add beef, onions, garlic, and spices. Cook for 10-12 minutes until cooked through.
- Brown meat and onions with spices for about 10 minutes. Add broth, beans and flax and simmer, covered. Let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss halved Brussels and diced sweet potatoes in 2 Tbsp avocado oil. Spread evenly on pan. Bake on 400 F for 20 minutes.
- Toss mushrooms in 2 tsp avocado oil. Add to pan and bake veggies for additional 10 minutes.
- Pour a serving of chili into bowl and top with roasted veggies and avocado. I also love throwing some Go Raw sprouted pumpkin seeds on top!
Feel free to share the recipe to support my blog, my website, and my business!
Hope you guys enjoy this favorite of mine 🙂