Valentines day is over but chocolate cravings are not.
Am I right or am I right?
These No-Bake Paleo Cocoa Espresso Cake Balls are here to help.
For the Love of Chocolate
I love chocolate for many reasons, but here are a few cool health benefits you probably haven’t heard of.
- Up-regulates multiple intracellular signaling pathways involved in T-cell activation and cellular immune response.
- Up-regulates genes involved in neural signaling and sensory processes.
- Modulates brain frequencies 0-40 Hz, specifically beneficial gamma frequency (25-40 Hz).
- Enhances neuroplasticity for behavioral and brain health benefits.
- Improves mitochondrial function (the powerhouse in every cell in your body) by increasing volume, cristae density and protein content.
Just make sure you’re buying chocolate that’s at least 70% cocoa (ideally more) to reap the benefits!
Now let’s get to my paleo chocolate espresso cake ball recipe. Sweetened naturally with dates, lots of fiber to keep you full and satisfied, bursting with antioxidants AND flavor!
It’s the perfect snack with your morning coffee/tea.
Or an afternoon pick-me-up.
Or some preworkout fuel.
Or a healthy treat for movie night.
Or just an excuse for your daily brain-boosting, immune system enhancing dose of chocolate.
Paleo Cocoa Espresso Cake Balls
- 8 pitted dates (should be about 1 cup if you squish them into a measuring cup)
- 1 1/3 cup almond flour (can also sub for oat flour if you don't have almond flour)
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil (3 Tbsp for "dough" and 1 Tbsp for chocolate coating)
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/2 Theo 85% chocolate bar
- Blend all ingredients, except chocolate, in small food processor
- Mold into small balls and set aside.
- Melt chocolate and additional 1 Tbsp coconut oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Dip cake balls in chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes until chocolate shell cools and hardens.
Click on an icon below to share this recipe with your chocolate-loving friends!